Skip to main content

Super Easy Mayonnaise (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30)



Why would anyone want to make mayonnaise?  It truly is one of the easiest, fastest and tastiest condiments to make.  A batch is versatile and can be used to dress tuna salads, added to omelettes (yep!)  and used as (or whisked into) salad dressings.  And, mayonnaise can be used as a natural hair treatment.

But I confess:  I used to hate anything with mayonnaise.  I never added it to sandwiches and avoided mayo-based pasta or veggies salads.  It is an unnatural white color, blobby (blobby is a word, right?), flavorless and just all-around gross.  I bought it regularly though, and always Costco-sized, because....well I am not sure.  Maybe I thought it was one of those things every kitchen needed and someone would report me to mom police if I didn't have any around.

A hundred years ago, when I become a stay-at-home mom, I knew that making as many food items as possible from scratch would save money.  I made my own salad dressings, pasta sauces, broth, desserts, even sandwich bread and jam.  I did have a few recipes that called for mayonnaise but the thought of making my own seemed ridiculous and time-consuming.  I knew it required lots of stirring, which meant I needed patience.  No thanks, I am good.

But times change!!  All true recipes require a raw egg and while this worried me at first, switching to quality pastured eggs gives me peace of mind.  I am extremely comfortable with adding 8+ raw eggs into breakfast smoothies for the family.  How is that for a true protein shake?  And if we were drinking eggs a-la-Rocky, surely I can tackle making mayo with a raw egg.

Now?  Once I made my first batch, I was hooked.  I have no problem making a batch of mayonnaise and eating it straight out of the jar.  It is that good.  I promise.   And it makes sense:  store-bought mayonnaise contains a lot of chemicals and preservatives, which help preserve the shape, color, texture, taste and smell of mayonnaise (indefinitely, it seems like).  Manufacturers rely on chemically processed fats that require additional additives and deodorizing to make them palatable before they are added to commercial mayonnaise.  And while having mayo in the fridge that can withstand a nuclear event sounds awesome, I happily avoid it now.

You can get an arm workout by following a mayo recipe with the traditional instructions that require whisking, whisking, whisking, while slowly adding the healthy oil of your choice.  Normally, I avoid so much effort so I sometimes make a batch using a food processor (a blender works well, too).  And as an added bonus, it works beautifully when adding extra flavorings (such as garlic for aioli) or ingredients for a dressing or dipping sauce (such as basil or roasted red peppers).  The options are endless.

Lately, I have been obsessed using an immersion blender.  All mayonnaise ingredients are added to a wide-mouth mason jar (including the oil!) and mixed using the immersion blender.  After the immersion blender has been unplugged, I lick the mayo off the blender stick, cap the mason jar and store it in the refrigerator for about one week.


Basic Mayonnaise

  • 1 cup healthy oil of your choice (I use 1/4 cup Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 3/4 cup Choice Foods Avocado Oil)
  • 2 tablespoons organic white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon - or a mixture - work well)
  • 1 teaspoon organic dry, ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1 fresh, pastured egg

Add all ingredients into a jar with an opening large enough for the immersion blender to easily fit in.  It can also be made directly in a tall glass or measuring cup - any receptacle that is taller than the ingredients that are placed in or it may overflow when mixing begins.

Fit the blender stick in the jar, making sure to rest it on the bottom before turning it on.  Turn it on and turn the jar a few times to make sure all of the oil is emulsified and ingredients are well mixed, usually less than 15 seconds.  And you are done.  Use immediately or cap and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Comments

  1. Hello, I saw you blog post and I loved it. No mistakes and the mayo tastes so good!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.