Skip to main content

Family Favorite Lasagna (Real Food, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)



Boy, oh boy...this is a good one!  Lasagna was certainly one of my favorite dishes to make and eat because for a little work, it made plenty and was great to count on leftovers or share with friends. Once we went gluten and dairy-free, I assumed I would never be able to make this beloved dish again.

You see, while commercial gluten-free noodles are now readily available in most grocery stores (and always online), I was never happy with store-bought dairy-free cheeses.  Not that I tried many, because they are just plain weird.  The texture is never right and forget about the taste!  And I know, I KNOW - dairy-free substitutions for cheese are just that: substitutions.  Close enough to the real thing, but no thanks.

There are plenty of dairy-free cheese recipes available on the internets, but again, I tried a few then gave up because though some recipes were decent enough for me but my family just shook their heads.  And lasagna became a distant dream.

Several months ago, I found Kite Hill almond milk ricotta at a Whole Foods the next town over, gave it a try and cue in a Chandler voice because: Oh.  My.  God.  This stuff is amazing.  A little pricy so it's definitely a treat, but amazing.  And even though I decided to make this dish only once every couple of months, it was being prepared on a nearly monthly basis.  It is that good and totally worth it considering how much my family of four would otherwise spend eating dinner out.

Since trying this ricotta, we have tried Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese and Chive Cream Cheese-style Spread and they are both absolutely delicious.

I have used both Tinkyada Brown Rice Lasagna noodles and Heartland Gluten-Free Oven Ready Lasagna noodles.  I prefer the oven ready noodles because they are just easier but both provide great results.

And I know someone will ask but no, neither of these brands are considered Paleo due to the grains used but they ARE gluten-free.  So, choose the pasta that will best suit your family or make your own truly Palo noodles.

Thin zucchini slices can be used as noodles but it will make for a watery sauce.  I have used, and loved, thin peeled eggplant slices for the noodles and these do not water down the sauce BUT my sometimes pesky kids still prefer store-bought noodles.


Family Favorite Lasagna

For the sauce:

  • 1 lb organic ground beef
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon organic cane sugar
  • Ground black pepper to taste

For the filling:
  • 3 8 ounce packages Kite Hill Almond Milk Ricotta Cheese
  • 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Additional crushed red pepper flakes, if desired (I always go for it)

For assembling the lasagna:
  • 1 package of gluten-free lasagna noodles, cooked if not using oven-ready noodles (I've used both Tinkyada Brown Rice Lasagna and Heartland Gluten-Free Oven Ready Lasagna noodles) 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish and set aside.

To prepare the sauce, set a skillet over medium heat and brown the beef with the onions and garlic. Stir to break up the meat and cook the mixture until the vegetables are softened and the meat is no longer pink - about 7 minutes. Stir in the dried herbs, both tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.  Bring the sauce to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 8-10 minutes.  Set aside to cool slightly.

In a bowl, stir together the eggs, ricotta cheese, parsley, salt and additional red pepper flakes, if using.

In the prepared baking dish, spread about one cup of the meat sauce.  Layer three noodles at the bottom of the dish, followed by one third of the cheese mixture then one third of the remaining meat sauce.  Repeat the layers two more times, ending with the last of the meat sauce.

Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove the foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes.

Let the lasagna stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.