Skip to main content

Hemp Milk (Real Food, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Whole30, Vegan)


I tend to rely on canned coconut milk for most culinary applications  but depending on how much I use on a regular basis, quality coconut milk can become pricey very quickly.

On days when I am the only one having a smoothie, opening up a can of coconut milk is not the best choice since I will most likely get stuck with part of a can of milk to use up - and I usually forget!

I like making my own dairy free milk for various reasons:

1.  I can make only what I need - no forgotten can or box of something at the back of the fridge.
2.  I can vary the type of milk depending on how I plan to use it.
3.  I can make dairy free milk with what I have on hand - whether it be nuts, seeds, or even unsweetened shredded coconut,
4.  It is super easy.  Most of my food, beverages, personal and household products, natural remedies, and even some clothes are handmade.  But it is all handmade BECAUSE it is easy.

Hemp, though related to marijuana, is not considered the same as the recreational plant.  According to Wikipedia, hemp has much lower concentrations of THC, with higher levels being found in marijuana.  And hemp contains higher concentrations of CBD, which decreases or eliminates any psychoactive effect.

Hemp has historically been used for clothes, rope making, paper, and many other things,  And this versatile crop is considered a superfood, too.  Its nutritional amino acid profile is comparable to that of meat, milk, and eggs and hemp seeds are a rich source of essential fatty acids and dietary minerals.

I found Nutiva brand of hemp seeds at my local Costco and I started replacing rice or bread crumbs in some recipes with hemp seeds with great success.  Then I made hemp milk one day for a smoothie and loved it.  Hemp milk has a slight nutty flavor, making it ideal for smoothies or blending with eggs to dip slices of gluten-free bread in when making French toast.

I keep my hemp milk unsweetened, as usual, but free free to add a small amount of maple syrup or raw honey, if desired.  If using this milk to drink plain, I might also suggest a small amount of alcohol-free vanilla extract.

For my personal smoothie, I cut the recipe in half, and add all of my other ingredients - no need to strain.


Homemade Hemp Milk


  • 3 cups cool filtered water
  • 2/3 cup raw, shelled hemp seeds (I use this one)
  • sweetener of choice: raw honey, maple syrup (optional)
  • pinch of salt, optional (if drinking plain)
  • 1/4 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla, optional (if drinking plain)

In a blender jar, place the water and hemp seeds and blend until smooth - about 30 seconds, when using a high powered blender like a Vitamix.  If not using a high powered blender, blend a total of 60 seconds.

Strain, if desired - though I skip this part - into a glass container with a tight fitting lid.  Use immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Stir the milk well before serving.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.