Skip to main content

Special Strawberry Jam Pie (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Real Food)



Thanksgiving is almost here and I planned to write another pumpkin post, but then I remembered pumpkin isn't my favorite flavor!  Instead, today I am sharing with you my absolute favorite pie recipe, one so good, that my daughter asks for this pie instead of cake on her birthday.  It is THAT good!

This recipe started out as a strawberry/rhubarb pie but since I never actually have rhubarb on hand, this became just a strawberry jam pie.  And I am sorry to say I don't know enough about food science to explain why the filling actually becomes jam-like, but it does and it is the best!  Once baked and cooled, I cut this pie into 4 pieces and I eat my slice straight out of my hand.  No fork needed!  Luckily, this pie only makes an appearance twice a year or we would be in trouble.....

In my past life, I always used a premade pie crust for pies, but I found that gluten-free prepared crusts sometimes have an odd flavor.  Now, I always use **Brittany Angell's Paleo Copycat Pillsbury Pie Crust recipe when I need an easy crust, and I highly recommend it.  However, a tiny yearly subscription fee is needed to access this recipe and many others.  Trust me when I say that it is completely worth it!  But please check her site out even if you do not plan to make this crust because she has plenty of free recipes too, and each one that I have tried has simply been amazing.

*At the time of this post, her site is down - sorry, sorry!  Links to other pie crust recipes will be listed below!

**2nd update: Brittany Angell posted a screen shot of her Copycat Pie Crust recipe on her Instagram account!

***3rd update:  Brittany Angell started reposting her recipes.  This is my favorite pie crust, ever - and it is what I normally use for this pie.

Now, I know that I have mentioned once or twice (or 541 times) how little refined sugar we typically consume in our household.  But my pie recipe uses a minimal amount of organic cane sugar - and considering that the original recipe called for 1 and 1/2 cups of refined sugar, I am very comfortable using the small amount I listed here.

Special Strawberry Jam Pie


  • 1 recipe gluten-free pie crust, doubled so there enough for both a top and bottom crust, or store bought.  For a rice flour/tapioca flour blend, with butter (not dairy free), try this one by Raising Generation Nourished.  For an almond flour crust (not nut free), try this one by Sustainable Baby Steps  Note: this recipe already makes enough for two crusts so there is no need to double it.  And for a coconut flour crust, that is also dairy free one, try this one by the Coconut Mama.
  • 4 cups organic strawberries, large berries halved or quartered (I use the use frozen strawberries from Costco, thawed) and lightly crushed 
  • 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1/4 Minute Tapioca (quick-cooking, not regular)
  • 1 tablespoon organic palm shortening (I use this one)
In a large bowl, mix the sugar, tapioca, and strawberries.  Let the mixture stand for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the crust.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare the crust of your choice, doubling the recipe, if needed (see notes above).  Roll one crust onto an ungreased pie plate and fill the pie with the fruit mixture.  Dot with the shortening.

Cover with the top crust and seal the edges.  Cut a few slits into the top crust to allow steam to escape.  Place the pie plate onto a baking sheet to catch any juice that may spillover and place in the oven.  Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and fruit juices are bubbling.  Cool before serving.

Normally, a pie serves 8 but in my house, this pie serves only 4!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.