Skip to main content

Kimchi Fried Rice (Real Food, WAPF)


I first had kimchi fried rice, or kimchi-bokkeumbap, at a Mexican/Korean fusion place here in town, and when I first ordered it, I was floored.  Rice is delicious anytime and I ADORE pungent kimchi.  I mean, I have no problems eating it straight out of the jar.  Since my family would disapprove if I ate at Komex without them everyday, I decided to make this myself and I quickly figured out that this is a perfect weeknight dinner idea, and very budget-friendly.  I have made this dish on a weekly basis for a few weeks now, and it is literally one of our favorite foods right now.

I love to ferment veggies and though I sometimes try to make kimchi, I can eat so much of it that it just doesn't last long in my house.  You can use any kimchi, homemade or store bought - but I like traditionally fermented kimchi by Pickled Planet, which is my current favorite store bought brand.  I also really like kimchi by Mother In Law's.

This recipe calls for gochujang, a sweet/spicy chile paste that is also traditionally fermented, and can be found in most well stocked grocery stores.

As with any fried rice, cold cooked rice is a must.  I use the rice function on my Instant Pot to cook my bone-broth rice in the morning, let it cool, then refrigerate it, so dinner comes together really quickly.  For added protein, I like to throw in any leftover meat or chicken to the rice, after I have browned the rice.


Kimchi Fried Rice


  • 4 cups cooked rice, cold
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil, plus more, as needed
  • 1 cup diced protein of choice (optional - chicken and/or beef is really good here)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup drained kimchi (reserving the liquid), roughly chopped - I use about 1 cup!
  • 3 tablespoons gochujang (I use this one)
  • 3/4 cup kimchi brine, poured from the bottle of kimchi
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • For garnish: chopped green scallions, sesame seeds,
  • Fried egg (one per plate - optional)

Preheat a large cast iron skillet, or stainless steel pan, over medium-high heat.

Once the pan is really hot, add the oil and rice, spreading the rice out to cover the bottom of the pan. Let the rice brown, undisturbed, for a few minutes to allow the rice to properly 'fry'.  After a few minutes, carefully scrape up the rice and stir, once again spreading it out to cover the bottom of the pan and allowing it fry.  Repeat this step a few times, until you see that the rice is somewhat crusty and has browned.  This process should take 10-12 minutes.  Add a little additional oil if the rice is sticking to your pan.  Take care not to burn it!

Once the rice is sufficiently browned, add the protein of choice (if using), and warm through for 1-2 minutes.

Stir in the kimchi, gochujang, and kimchi brine.  Stir continuously for 3-4 minutes.  

Just before serving, stir in the toasted sesame oil.  Garnish each serving of kimchi fried rice with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.  Top each serving with a fried egg (optional).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.