Skip to main content

Skin Supporting Face Serum (DIY)


Today's post will be a departure from the usual recipe but I am really excited to share something that I have been making and using for several months.  And let me tell you, I LOVE it.

You may know that I tend to be really picky about what goes into my body, and that really does extend to things I put on my body.  I have been making my own soap for a few years and I make my own lotion, as well.  I am a huge essential oil user, and about a year ago I decided to experiment on using oils to replace my natural (and sometimes costly) facial products.

Fast forward to now, I general cleanse my skin with just water on no-makeup days, and follow an oil-cleansing technique on days I do wear makeup.  I won't write about the benefits of oil cleansing since everyone and their internet mother has written a lot of helpful information.  But I do have to say that as a person that has struggled with acne all through high school, and a good part of my adult life, using oil to wash my face AND as aftercare is absolutely crazy.  And yet, I would never go back.  My skin has never felt or looked better, and considering I just celebrated another beautiful birthday.....well, I am not changing a thing!  You can find some great info on oil cleansing over at Crunchy Betty.

You may ask why bother making your own personal care products?  Well, I am happy you asked!  So many conventional products contain ingredients that are harmful to skin, are endocrine-disrupting, aggravate allergies and/asthma, or are linked to cancer.  The EWG rates thousands of personal care and household products, including those labeled as natural.  And they even have a useful app you can use while you are out shopping for new products.

As this recipe uses a few essential oils, I highly recommend using oils from a reputable company. As always, read your labels to ensure your oils are not diluted or adulterated in any way.  I only use Young Living Essential oils due to their Seed to Seal promise.  This means that Young Living is in charge of the entire process, from when the plant goes into the ground, to when it is bottled - and not many companies can say that.  For this reason, I trust the products and use them on myself and my family.

Now, onto the oils!  This recipe uses:

Jojoba oil:  I use this as the carrier oil and really like that it is not drying (yes, oils can be drying!) nor does it cause breakouts.  You can use a different oil but use caution.  I love coconut oil as part of the oil in my body lotion recipe, but my face does not like it - coconut oil can cause break outs in some so consider a different oil here. Jojoba is helpful in fighting breakouts, reducing wrinkles, and smoothing the skin.

Elemi:  Has similar properties to frankincense and is great for the skin.  It is useful for repairing the skin and rejuvenating properties.  Elemi is considered useful in reducing the appearance of fine lines and helps normalize your natural skin oils, supporting the appearance of an even complexion.

Frankincense:  This oil is one of my favorites and it is considered a great stress reliever (try some in a bath!).  For skin, frankincense is antiseptic so it is wonderful because it protects the skin, while supporting  the appearance of tighter skin.

Carrot Seed:  This oil is considered a strong antioxidant and can be used to support skin health and regeneration.  It is known for soothing and nourishing skin that is environmentally stressed.

Lavender (optional):  Lavender is a relieving oil and known for regeneration and skin soothing properties.


Skin Supporting Face Serum


Measure all oils and add them into a dark colored glass bottle (like this one).  Shake to mix well.  Use as needed.

To use: place 6-8 drops in the palm of clean hands and massage into the skin.

Store away from sunlight or extreme temperatures.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.