Skip to main content

Ginger Lemon Steak (Whole30, Paleo, LCHF, Real Food)



The recipe is a little different than most, in that it uses essential oils for some of flavorings.  Now, you may know that I love Young Living essential oils for many reasons.  They are a therapeutic-grade essential oil, and unadulterated, unlike most essential oils available.  And Young Living has an extensive line of dietary-grade essential oils, called Vitality™, that can be used to as a dietary supplement or added to food and beverages (ordering info here).

I used Ginger Vitality™ essential oil because fresh ginger is simply one of those ingredients I rarely have on hand.  And powdered ginger always tasted dusty to me.  I used the Lemon Vitality™ here because it sounded good and again, I didn't have fresh lemons laying around and we are not getting started on bottled lemon juice, right?

I suspect that Lime Vitality™ will work wonderfully in this Asian-inspired recipe.  I kept the red pepper flake to a minimum because I still have a kid that prefers things on the mild side (I know, and we are going through counseling for this).  Feel free to crank up the amount if you like your food with a little more kick.

The recipe also calls for coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce that would usually make up a marinade like this.  Coconut aminos are made from aged coconut sap and provides a nice umami component to the marinade, minus the nasty gluten, soy, and other ingredients that need to be avoided.

I used skirt steak here, but I am sure this marinade will work well with boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts!


Ginger Lemon Steak

For the marinade:
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 5 tablespoons coconut aminos (I used this one)
  • 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • 1 teaspoon fish sauce (I used this one)
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 7 drops Ginger Vitality™ Oil (order here)
  • 7 drops Lemon Vitality™ Oil (order here)
  • 2 1/2 pounds inside skirt steak

In a glass dish (for easy clean up, use a plastic food storage bag), combine all of the ingredients for the marinade and blend well.  Add the steak and coat the meat well.

Cover the dish, place the steak in the refrigerator and allow the meat to marinate for 2-3 hours.

Grill the meat on a preheated grill until done, about 3-5 minutes per side.  Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before slicing the meat against the grain.  Refrigerate any leftovers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.