Skip to main content

6 Ways to Maximize Your Grocery Budget


One of the main concerns for most people changing their diet is cost.  And I certainly understand - it took me a long time not to flinch when comparing the cost between one pound of conventional ground beef  and one pound of grass-fed beef.  I know that my food budget has changed drastically since I began ensuring that the food my family and I eat is healthy.  And compared to SAD (Standard American Diet), eating a real food diet can seem totally out of reach.  Convenience and fast food will always seem cheaper than sourcing quality foods and preparing them at home but compared to cost of health concerns such as obesity, auto-immune conditions, allergies and sensitivities, doctors visits and medication .....is convenience really worth it?  For me, it is not.

Below, I have put together some of the best tips that have really helped maximize my food budget:

Avoid processed foods:  Going on a clean diet seems to eliminate this issue when items like frozen breakfast products or chemical-laden meals-in-a-box are naturally avoided.  But a common pitfall is to look for cleaner versions of convenience foods.  And while these foods do exist, they can cost so much more than their terrible counterparts.  Now, I do keep a few products on hand for super busy days or when I know I am going to be running around and hunger may strike.  Items such as Epic Bars are a favorite.  But even on crazy mornings, a breakfast of leftovers or eggs takes almost no time.

A clean salad dressing may be hard to find and may be pricy.  I regularly make a fresh salad dressing for dinner that takes no longer than two minutes.  And a salad simply dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and a little sea salt works just as well and tastes so much better than a salad using a bottled and cooked dressing.

Shop sales, buy in bulk and look for discounted groceries:  Once you know what items you purchase regularly, and you spot a sale, stock up!   Some grocery stores discount foods that are nearing the expiration date, and when this happens, take advantage.  Eggs last so much longer than the expiration date suggests so when I see cartons on discount - I buy as many as I can carry and breakfast for dinner happens.  A good stash of hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator is always a good idea and a quick lunch or even faster breakfast is will always be within in reach.  Discounted meats and poultry can be prepared the day of purchase or frozen for later use.  My grocery store occasionally discounts vegetables and produce that are just past their prime - I load up and rework my meal plans accordingly to use these items first.  Today, my grocery store had bags and bags of discounted tomatoes.  I brought home six bags (even though I originally went for eggs only) and promptly made a quick and easy tomato soup for the freezer - great for busy days or school lunches.

Shopping in warehouse stores, such as Costco, can help save a budget too.  My local Costco has really upped the game in the organics department and they now carry lots of veggies and fruits (both fresh and frozen), salads and meats that are organic.  When packages of meats seem too large (which never happens to me!) portion them out into freezer containers, label and freeze part of the package for a later date.  If you feel your family is too small to warrant a membership to a warehouse store, consider sharing a membership with a friend or family member and splitting the cost.

Purchase less popular cuts of meat and poultry:  Just because there is a shift to cleaner diet, this does not mean that we eat rib-eye steaks and salmon every day.  Ground beef and bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs make their way into our dinner rotation regularly.  Ground beef is always versatile as meatballs (great for school lunches) or meatloaf and perfect for super quick stir-frys with veggies.  Large, tough roasts and whole chickens are usually less expensive than tender cuts or cut-up chicken, so purchase these for dinner and repurpose leftovers into a breakfast hash, soup or stir-fry later in the week.  Bone-in chicken is can be drizzled with a melted fat and roasted along with a hard vegetable (such as butternut squash) and some kale thrown in, for an easy-prep dinner with little mess.

And I have to say it:  we love liver.  I used to avoid organ meats, even though they can be one of the cheaper cuts of meat you can source.  But once I learned to cook it properly, liver fast became one of my go-to meats when the budget is tight.  Liver is quick to cook and very nutrient-dense so you always get more bang for your buck.

Maximize leftovers:  As a general rule, my family tends to eat a lot.  I started doubling proteins to ensure leftovers for school and work lunches.  When leftovers are available, the temptation to grab something less healthy (and less satisfying) for lunches is no longer there.  Leftover roasted veggies, alongside some eggs or leftover meats makes for a great, and quick, breakfast as well.

When leftovers are not available, make use of a slow-cooker and throw in simply seasoned chicken thighs, drumsticks or pork to cook overnight.  The shredded meat can be used during breakfast or packed for lunches with some raw veggies or salad.

Make your own broth:  This one is huge one for me because I used to buy cases of organic broth at Costco to use for cooking.  Once more of my budget shifted towards unprocessed foods, I knew I had to make own.  Save all vegetable scraps from meal preparation (onion and carrot peelings and tops, ends of celery, squash, tomato cores, mushroom stems, parsley stems etc) in a container, label and freeze.  Here, I also save any bones leftover from dinner (chicken or beef) and put them in the container.  Once the container is full, I throw the frozen contents into a stockpot (or pressure cooker) with water to cover, sea salt, peppercorns and let it do its thing for a few hours.  The broth can then be strained into containers, labeled and frozen.  Depending on how full my freezer broth container was (and therefore my pressure cooker) I usually manage to get around 5 or more pints of broth per batch - or the equivalent of 5 cans of the salty chemical-hell sold as broth in the supermarket.  Using the method of saving peelings and bones for broth making is particularly important when you are allocating more funds towards organic meats and vegetables - you will get the most use out of what you buy.

Save your fats:  Did you source a beautiful grass-fed roast?  After cooking, save the fat that rose to the top into a labeled container and store in the refrigerator for later use.  Did you find a clean bacon, free from nitrates, sugar and chemicals?  Save the fat in another labeled jar and make tomorrows eggs with it.  Roast a duck for dinner and save the glorious fat (in another labeled container) because it makes the best roasted potatoes.  Just ask the French.  Duck fat is one of our favorites but can be an expensive splurge.  If you are already shifting your money towards great food, why not save the great fat?

What are some of your favorite tips?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.