Skip to main content

Amazing Brownies (Real Food, Paleo)




At some point or another, everyone needs a good, soft and chewy brownie.  Or two.  Did you make it through a hard day at work?  Eat a brownie!  Did you spend some extra time organizing your desk?  Eat a brownie!  Is it Monday?  You may need four brownies!

Paleo brownies normally rely on almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca starch, or a mixture, along with the usual cocoa powder, eggs, etc... and though I have tried many recipes (and I mean many!), I never really found one that was truly amazing.  I judge a brownie recipe by whether or not I want to eat it straight out of the oven.  It needs to be amazing enough to eat for breakfast.  Amazing enough to eat in the middle of the night because the brownies were calling my name and no one was looking, so they never actually made it to breakfast.  Sorry (not sorry).

These brownies are unique as they use cassava flour.  Cassava flour is made from the peeled and baked yuca root and is different than tapioca starch.  Although tapioca starch is made from the same plant, it is processed a little differently so it has retained less of the original fiber than cassava flour.

Cassava flour has been making its rounds within the Paleo community for a while now and I finally decided to give it a try.  I originally intended to make tortillas with the flour but decided on the brownies at the last minute and I am glad I did!  Cassava flour is great because it actually behaves much more like regular flour than any other grain-free substitutes I have worked with over the years and my family really loved this recipe.


Amazing Brownies


  • 2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
  • 5 tablespoons palm shortening (or ghee, coconut or avocado oil)
  • 1 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup cassava flour (not tapioca starch)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8x8 pan well and set aside.

In a small bowl, melt the unsweetened chocolate and ghee together.  I did this in the microwave in 30-second increments and stirred each time until just melted.  Be careful not to heat the chocolate too much in the microwave because it can scorch!  Or, the unsweetened chocolate and ghee can be melted over a double boiler.

In another bowl, stir the coconut sugar, cassava flour and salt together.  Add the beaten eggs, honey and vanilla to the dry ingredients and stir well.  Finally, stir in the unsweetened chocolate mixture and make sure it is all well combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips in an even layer over the hot brownies.  After 5 minutes, use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread the melted chocolate chips over the brownies.

Cool completely before cutting into squares.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.