Skip to main content

Perfect Pancakes (Real Food, Paleo)


I mentioned in a previous post that cassava flour has really taken the Paleo community by storm. And boy, do I regret waiting so long to jump on that yummy bandwagon.  Actually, what I regret is only buying 4 lbs of this flour.  I have less than 2 lbs in my pantry right now and I may be looking at a mutiny on my hands.

Cassava flour is made from the entire yucca root, where tapioca starch, though similar, is made from just the starch of the yucca root.

As a family, we have been gluten-free for several years and we have tried just about every alternative flour pancake recipe under the internet sun.  I have a few recipes that I alternate, depending on what I have on hand.  Links to those recipes are listed below, just in case cassava flour is not available to you yet.  But I strongly suggest:  find it, stockpile it and be very, very excited!

It took me a few tries but I finally perfected these pancakes.  I really enjoying testing recipes with cassava because this flour truly gives the finished food a texture much closer to real flour than any nut or coconut flour recipe I have tried.

My recipe makes several decent-sized pancakes.  I am not sure about you but I really don't like trying a new recipe and then realizing it only gives me 6 small pancakes.  I have two hungry kids and my teenaged son is always eager to eat his weight in pancakes, if I would only let him.  This recipe makes about 15 good-sized pancakes.  Leftovers reheat well for a breakfast or snack later in the week but you can easily halve the recipe.

I have added collagen peptides to the batter for an extra protein boost but it can be omitted.


Perfect Pancakes

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups almond milk (or any nut, or seed milk for nut-free)
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
  • 2 cups cassava flour
  • 2 tablespoons collagen peptides (I used this one but this one is good, too - optional)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (optional, but it really creates a fluffy pancake!)
Preheat a pan or griddle on medium to medium-low heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, and maple syrup (if using) until well blended. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.  Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes.

Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the preheated pan (greased first, if needed - I use a well-seasoned cast iron griddle and I do not need any additional oil on the pan).  Cook the pancake until the edges look dry and there are several bubbles (just like regular flour pancakes!).  Flip carefully and cook on the other side.

Top with raw honey, maple syrup, or coconut nectar and ghee.  Nut butters and jam are especially good, too.

Makes about 15 pancakes.


These are some of the other alternative-flour pancake recipes we have tried and enjoyed:

Coconut flour pancakes:



Almond flour pancakes:

Fluffy Almond Flour Pancakes by The Nourishing Home

Snickerdoodle Pancakes by Brittany Angell

Nut, grain and coconut flour free:

Perfect Paleo Pancakes by The Paleo Mom - these are really good!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.