Skip to main content

Headstand progress: 01/13/2016

Most balance poses just did not come easily to me.  Actually, I can say most yoga poses really did not come easily to me.  I first started practicing yoga when I was unhappy with my weight and I just knew I had to find a way to exercise.  But I'd rather visit the dentist, thank you.  And if you know me, you know how much I DREAD the dentist.

I have never been flexible, even as a kid but I picked a Power Yoga class at my old gym as the exercise I would try, because I figured it would be the easiest way to get some extra movement in my life with the least amount of work.  What was I thinking?  I laugh at my old self, when I remember my reasoning behind this because those classes were tough for me.  And finding stillness in my mind?  Forget it!  Trying to quiet my mind was like giving my mind permission to come up with lists, and plans.  I used that time to remember what bills needed to be paid, created to-do lists for the week and more.

After a few years of on-and-off practice, and almost of year of serious-ish practice, I find that I can sit still with a clear mind.  I can even meditate for ten minutes or longer, without needing to move around or wiggle or slouch.  I can stick standing poses without wobbling too much - but one-legged balance poses (I am looking at you Ardha Chandrasana!!) still seem out of my practice, even on the best of days.

I have been focusing some of my attention to practicing a headstand, or Salamba Sirsasana, using a wall.  Headstands are my Everest and it has been a slow and  frustrating process, though very fun.  I can get up, and stay up, but I noticed that the wall has become a crutch of sorts.

I knew I was using the wall because it is 'safe'.  Against a wall I can't fall backwards and ungracefully break a hip.  But today, I practiced a few times away from the wall.  I no longer felt safe but instead, I trusted in my ability to bring myself up and keep myself still, even for a few seconds.




I am so close, I can taste it.  Yet, I know if I rush the process, it will just take longer to get where I want to be.  Practice makes progress.

I can pick apart the million things I know are wrong with the pictures but today is not the day for that. Today, I am happy I got through these away from the wall.

My camera was awesome enough to also capture the one time I fell over today.


Landing on my mala beads = not awesome.

I also want to pick apart the million ways I feel ungraceful in this picture.  But, today is not the day for that.  And today is not the day for breaking a hip either so I am happy.

There is grace, even in falling.  And there is definately grace in getting up and trying again.
I am forever grateful that yoga found me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.