Skip to main content

Tender 30 Minute Herbed Whole Chicken (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30)


It is no secret that I think a pressure cooker is an important part of our busy lives.  It has definitely saved us from eating out more than once when dinner prep got away from me and I needed to put something on the table fast.

With a pressure cooker, food that normally cooker for hours in a slow-cooker or braised in an oven is ready in a fraction of the time.  I had a standard stove-top one for years and once I got over my fear of using one, I used it at least twice a month and only for a few dishes:  my risotto (ready seven minutes), spaghetti sauce (ready in 30 minutes) and Lemon Chicken with Turmeric (ready 15 minutes) and home-cooked beans (ready in 45 minutes!).  And when the weather turned cool, arroz con leche (Mexican rice pudding) was made in the pot, too.

I made the switch to an electric pressure cooker last year thinking that I would return after test-driving it, since I didn't see the benefits of an electric pot.  The brand I purchased had a nonstick interior, which I normally avoid at all costs, so I really was not impressed.  I returned it and splurged on an Instant Pot.  And I was hooked.

When cooking with a standard pressure cooker, I had to be available to watch the covered and locked pot (with food inside) come to pressure, then lower the heat on the stove, set a timer and walk away. Once the food was ready, I needed to be there to remove the pot from the stove and either let the pressure drop naturally or manually release it.

The electric cooker allows you to select a preset cooking program (for example: Rice, Soup, Meat/Stew, etc - or manually enter a desired cooking time), lock the lid and walk away.  The electric cooker comes up to pressure, lowers the pressure and cooks the food according to the program.  Once the food is done, the cooker keeps the contents warm (much like a slow cooker).  And it is much quieter than a stovetop pressure cooker.  I adore my Instant Pot so much, I got a second one.  And I have a lot of fun converting slow-cooker recipes into pressure cooked ones.

I am packing for a long weekend at Lake Mead today and since I try to eat as cleanly as possible, even while on vacation (especially since I will be drinking!), I need to make sure I pack more than enough food for my family to last several days.

I cooked this whole chicken in 30 minutes and I will shred the meat to use on tostadas (gluten-free crackers for me), gluten-free sandwiches or some sort of morning hash.  As an added bonus (I love those, don't you?), this recipe also gave me about 2 cups of yummy broth.  The broth will get packed for the lake, since I plan to make rice at least one night and I like to boost the nutritional profile of foods by cooking them in broth.


Tender 30 Minute Herbed Whole Chicken


  • 1 whole organic chicken, giblets removed (if any)
  • 1 tablespoon organic olive oil
  • Herbs of choice (I used an Herbes de Provence blend, but thyme, paprika and lemon pepper work well)
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

In an electric pressure cooker, program the cooker to Saute and allow the insert to heat.  If using a standard stovetop cooker, preheat the pot over medium heat until hot.

Season the chicken cavity and the outside with herbs and plenty of salt.  Once the pot is hot, add the chicken, breast side down, and allow it to brown for about 5-8 minutes.  Using tongs, carefully flip the chicken over and allow the chicken to brown for another 5 minutes.

Pour the broth over the top of the chicken and scatter the garlic around the sides of the pot.  Lock the lid in place and program the electric cooker for 30 minutes .  If using a standard stove top pressure cooker, lock the lid in place and allow it come to high pressure, lower the heat enough to maintain pressure and cook for 30 minutes.

Manually release the pressure from the lid, carefully, after time is up.  Remove the chicken to a plate - also carefully since it will be falling apart and tender.  Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving or let it cool completely before shredding or placing in the refrigerator.   Strain the broth into a glass jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator or freezer.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Menudo (Real Food, Paleo, Whole30, AIP Friendly)

Menudo , or tripe soup, is a traditional soup commonly served on a Sunday morning.  It is considered labor-intensive since it requires a very long cooking time, so it started the night before any plans to eat it, or made for special occasions. Due to its nourishing collagen-packed broth and mineral-rich protein, it has a cult following for those wishing to get rid of the Saturday night hangover! I remember my dad being the one prepping the tripe at night and I remember someone getting up during the night at various times to check on the pot of soup bubbling on the stove.  I also remember becoming a teenager and deciding I no longer would eat organ meats!  So I even gave up on all the other delicious ones, like tender beef tongue and beef cheeks.  I also happily gave up the ones I never liked - like liver and mushy brains.  Yes, brains...... As an adult, I decided being an adventurous eater was much more fun and I incorporated liver back in my diet.  And I realized that the liv

Easy Instant Pot Beans (Real Food, Wapf, Vegan)

I recently started making beans on a regular basis for my family and I remember now how much of a comfort dish this is.  Best of all, it is one of the easiest dishes to make at home. Beans are a legume prized and eaten all over Mexico and, along with maiz, is usually served on a daily basis.  According to experts, there are possibly 200+ types of edible beans grown in Mexico, with beans being cultivated close to 7 thousand years ago.  And they were so valuable, that the Aztecs asked for them as tribute payments. Legumes, like grains, are super easy on the family budget and they can provide quality nutrition when prepared properly.  Beans are generally high in minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and iron, they also contain phytic acid - basically an anti-nutrient.  Phytic acid binds to minerals, like calcium and iron, and prevents the body from absorbing them.  Diets heavy in phytic acid can lead to developmental delays in children, tooth decay, brittle bones, malnutrition and

Water Kefir Agua Fresca, Two Ways (Paleo, Real Food)

Mexico is the land of aguas frescas.  Agua fresh, literally means fresh water, and it refers to traditional fresh fruit and/or veggie drinks.  Aguas frescas are usually single-ingredient drinks, such as an agua de limon (a lime-ade), agua de pi ñ a (pineapple) or my favorite: agua de tamarindo (tamarind drink).  And some aguas are simple combos such as a lime and cucumber agua fresca. Interestingly, the lime and cucumber flavor is usually made with nutrient-dense chia seeds and is recommended for a healthy digestion. Walk down most streets, especially those around or in the town square, and you may find a vendor or two serving a variety of aguas frescas out of huge glass containers.  The drinks are then served in a plastic baggie with a straw, which is great while exploring the town!   During market day or special event, vendors multiply and make it hard to choose between tables of colorful options! I spent three weeks in Mexico last month and indulged in a lot of agua fresca.